Dating and Romance Scams
Dating / romance / friendhip scams occur on every type of dating/friendship site on the internet. A typical dating scam follows a pattern such as this -
1. The scammer registers at an online dating / friendship site and creates a profile. Many scammers want you to contact them directly via email or online messaging service so will often include their email address / messaging details in their profile or on their photos.
2. The scammer will then usually contact a large number of members with a standard message.
3. The intended victim(s) responds and the pair begins corresponding regularly. If they havent done already they may soon contact outside the website directly via email or messaging service such as Yahoo, MSN or Skype.
4. Over a period of time the scammer will earn the trust of the victim by discussing details and photos that make them seem like a genuine person. Of course the scammer has invented these details and usually stole the photos from some other website.
5. Once the scammer has created the illusion of wanting a relationship with the victim they usually begin asking for money. This is often done in one of the ways outlined below.
- Asking for airfare so they can meet the victim.
- Asking for money for education
- Asking for money for a family emergency
6. By this time the victims may trust the scammer and even be romantically attracted to them and send the money. The cycle may then repeat.
7. At some stage after too many requests for money or perhaps a wait at the airport the victim realizes they have been scammed. The money is long gone and the scammer no longer contactable and has already moved onto the next victim.
If you can relate to any of above then please contact us.